Cruisers Injured During Violent Attack off Union Island

On October 3rd, sailing vessel Rainbow was anchored off Union Island at Frigate Island, which is attached to Union Island, SVG (approx. 12 34.9882 N 061 26.2582 W). The owners, Mark and Tina, were just about to settle down to a nice quiet dinner on board and getting ready to clean the fish they had caught earlier in the day, when a machete-wielding youth boarded their boat and violently attacked Tina slashing her face and shoulder.

Fortunately, Mark reacted quickly by grabbing a kitchen knife and stabbed the youth, who subsequently fell off the boat enabling them to pull the anchor up, raise the alert via the VHF radio and get across to Carriacou.

The attacker was only 15 years old. He and two accomplices rode out to SY Rainbow in a small boat armed with at least one machete with intent to cause harm, as no demands were made prior to the attack.

The vessel Desiderata was monitoring Ch 66, the Grenada Cruisers Net repeater, and Rainbow’s calls for help were passed onto Rescue 1 which operates from Prickly Bay Marina in Grenada. With SY Rainbow taking the decision to head to better medical help in Carriacou, Rescue 1 was able to liaise with Coast Guard, Police and authorities to have the Hillsborough wharf cleared and an Ambulance waiting for them.

Mark on Rainbow was able to get into Carriacou in just over an hour whilst administering first aid with advice via VHF66 from a nurse aboard SV Bella Blue and Dr Radix from Black Rock medical centre.

Tina was flown to Grenada on Friday morning October 4th and after an unpleasant 30 hours in the hospital, was discharged and taken to a comfortable hotel courtesy of the Grenada Board of Tourism.

Mark meanwhile had to return to Union Island to make statements to the police and get his injuries checked out at the hospital. He was hailed as a hero by the local community there who came out to welcome him, thank him and offer all manner of support for taking action against the attacker.

The perpetrators of the attack are in custody & Mark is being asked to testify back in Union Island next week. He faced their attacker when he had to go with the SVG police to give a statement & the youth showed no remorse.

For more notes and updates visit

This entry was posted in Dock Talk and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.