Tearaway Norwegian adventure sailor Jarle Andhoey has left Antarctica and is headed for South America, with New Zealand “stowaway” Busby Noble still on board, and stated “mission accomplished”. He has not told Norwegian media that he has found anything of note about what happened to his lost yacht the Beserk. Neither have they ridden their quad bikes to the South Pole.
He has said that they carried out a memorial ceremony in which they “put flowers into the sea” during their unauthorized visit to mark the deaths of the three crew members lost when the Beserk sank last year. Previously Andhoey had claimed that he had a Russian skipper on board and they had been given permission by the Russian government, but this has since been denied.
The Norwegian newspaper Dagbladet reported Andhoey had called his lawyer with the news of their departure from Antarctica.
Lawyer Nils Jorgen Vordah said he had talked to Andhoey via satellite phone. The sailor said that he and his crew have given up on the search for his missing yacht and are preparing to sail through a 200 nautical mile ice-belt.
Andhoey, 34, fled immigration authorities in New Zealand a month ago while planning his illegal polar expedition. And now he has ruled out a return to New Zealand as he and his crew believe they are likely to face prosecution here over their journey to Antarctica.
Vordah told the Dagbladet newspaper, “There were no other circumstances which had occurred to make him give up the search. Their plans are now completed and they have decided to sail from the area and head north. But now Jarle has new questions he wants answered.”
Andhoey, 34, had sailed a 52.5 foot steel yacht, Nilaya, through the same area his yacht Berserk disappeared in during a fierce storm on February 22 last year.
The self-proclaimed Norwegian Viking was trying to reach the South Pole on a quad bike at the time of the sinking.
For the complete story, go to www.sail-world.com.