US Sailing, the National Governing Body of the sport, has recognized nine community sailing centers that provide exemplary training and educational programs consistent with the curriculum standards of the US Sailing Training Department. The US Sailing Community Sailing Sanctioning Program acknowledges organizations that best exemplify community sailing’s strengths nationwide. These sailing organizations routinely offer sailors with the highest level of education, through US Sailing reviewed and approved curriculums, a proven track record, quality equipment and facilities, and strong safety protocols. Some of the best sailors in the world learned through US Sailing.
Here is the list of US Sailing Sanctioned Sailing Centers:
• Westwind Sailing / Dana Point, CA
• SHYC Sailing Foundation / Stonington, CT
• Edison Sailing Center / Ft. Myers, FL
• Community Boating, Inc. / Boston, MA
• Courageous Sailing Center / Boston, MA
• Duxbury Bay Maritime School / Duxbury, MA
• Sail Sand Point / Seattle, WA
• Milwaukee Community Sailing Center / Milwaukee, WI
• Lake Champlain Community Sailing Center / Burlington, VT
US Sailing Executive Director Jack Gierhart said, “US Sailing has long set the standard for training sailing instructors, and we felt that it was a natural progression to recognize programs who utilize our Small Boat Instructor curriculum standards, safety protocols and overall program management. We consider these programs among the best places in the country, if not the world, for people to learn how to sail. We look forward to seeing this program grow as more qualified programs apply and others begin adopting these proven standards.”
For more information on US Sailing’s Community Sailing Sanctioning Program, including a copy of the application, visit us at http://training.ussailing.org/ProgramMgmt/commsailctrsanction.htm.