The butter in this dish may not make it the healthiest, but it sure sounds delicious and we like anything that involves enjoying a glass of wine while we cook!
- One stick butter (yes!)
- 1-2 pounds of fresh, unopened clams (figure about a half pound per person)
- 1 medium onion or large shallot, chopped
- 4-8 cloves of garlic, chopped very small
- Lemon or lime juice
- Bottle of white wine
- Chorizo, kielbasa or any very flavorful sausage (optional)
- Salt, pepper, red pepper, fresh herbs as desired
Pour yourself a glass of wine. Melt butter over medium heat in a large skillet. Add onion and garlic, squeeze on some lime or lemon juice, and add spices. Add sausage if desired. After sausage and onion are well cooked, pour yourself another glass of wine, then add the rest of the wine to the skillet (about half to 3/4 of a bottle depending on amount of clams used). Cover and simmer for about 10 minutes. Add clean (scrubbed and rinsed) clams and cook until the clams just open up. Be sure not to cook them any longer as they will get chewy. Open another bottle of wine and pour yourself another glass! Excellent with fresh french bread.
Courtesy of www.galleyswap.com.