When we saw this recipe for small batch homemade ice cream courtesy of s/v Kaleo, we thought it was pretty ingenious. Sometimes you just need ice cream, even when you are in the middle of the ocean. But we think this would be just as fun to make onshore too.
Sandwich & quart zipper bags
1/2 cup milk
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
6 tbsp rock or sea salt
2 cups ice cubes (1 ice cube tray worth or use the ice when defrosting your freezer)
How to make it:
- Fill the large bag with ice, and add the rock or sea salt.
- Put milk, sugar and vanilla into the small bag and seal it.
- Place the small bag inside the large one, and seal it again carefully.
- Shake, shake, shake until the mixture thickens into ice cream, which takes about 5 minutes or so.
- Wipe off the top of the small bag, then open it carefully. Enjoy!
A 1/2 cup milk will make about 1 scoop of ice cream, so double the recipe if you want more. You can also dice up and add any dried fruit you may have aboard (mango, peaches, pineapple, apple) for flavored ice cream.
Courtesy of s/v Kaleo via www.galleyswap.com.